Adding the Dye
My wax has now all dried to its time to dye the fabric. These two panels are the ones that most represent the rust element so I used mostly browns and oranges. I had a method to painting on the dye, I first painted on yellow, green, light blue, brown, dark blue and then at the end I added random splashes of purple. I started with the lightest colour fist as once the darkest colour is one there, there is no going back, no adding any more light colours. This only took about an hour as I can paint rather fast. I was not too sure on the outcome as it did not really look much like the sea, however when it dried the blue started shining through. I then ironed out all the batik it took an hour but the fabric is still quite stiff. But I decided to keep the stiff fabric in to add more texture.